Tuesday marked the annual NFL Coaches Meeting, and as usual, there were a few rule changes that will be implemented or made permanent in the 2019 season. The changes are being made in an effort to reduce unnecessary and brutal hits during kickoffs.
- All players on the kickoff team besides the kicker must remain stationary until the ball is kicked.
- 8 of the 11 players on the kickoff team must be lined up within 15 yards of the ball.
- Blocking in the setup zone by the return team on kickoffs will not be allowed until the ball is caught or hits the ground.
- Permanently disallowing the technique to form a wedge between two or more players as a wall of blockers on the receiving team.
- Kickoff teams must have 5 mean on each side of the ball (the kicker may be on either side)
Update at 8:00 PM on Tuesday: The league has passed a new rule to allow challenges to Pass Interference and calls and non-calls